Subject: Re: brand new 3.0 install has data fault: kernel panic:
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/16/2006 13:43:59
Ok, Hi all,

i've never had so much trouble with netbsd on sparc ever.
( beloved os on beloved hardware!)

not sure what to do next,

- tried 3.0 and has panic on boot.
- tried debian, phewww too slow.
- tried 2.1 and it core dumps when accessing "instfs" after
initial boot of install kernel.

Obviously I just want a working system and because my
problem is so seemingly unique I don't know the probability
of getting 3.0 to work.

- so i tried 2.0 next.
Install success.
Boot success.
Put on pkgsrc.

but now have building nightmares.

every time i go to build something it fails with:
: : no such file or directory
somewhere in a dependancy build.

then i go directly to the dependancy build and type make
and this time it works!

it seems to always fail on bulding some dependancy lower
down package. go direct to it and it's happy!

no idea. go figure.

always see ths too:

configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
???

i've posted a mass of stuff on tech-pkg.
think the're all in bed.

question,

what should I type at the prom boot prompt to test the hardware
to see if i have a faulty component?

thanks,
Paul.

Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 02:31:31PM +0200, doomwarrior wrote:
> > tcx0: replacing cgsix0
> > tcx0: attached to /dev/fb
>
> On 3.0 the /dev/fb device can only handle a single frame buffer. Julian
> extended it to support multiple ones in -current. That should not cause a
> panic though.
>
> Martin

Paul
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology