Subject: Re: Wscons in NetBSD 3
To: victor <>
From: Bruce O'Neel <>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/31/2006 14:26:21

What would be necessary to run wscons, and therefore xfree86, on a SS4
with a tcx?  Should this just work, or, do I have to do something

I've seen:

I can make those changes and build a new kernel.  Will it work
on the tcx then?

I don't see any mention of wscons in either src/sys/dev/sbus/*.c
or src/sys/arch/sparc/dev/*.c  I assumed that the cg6 drivers would
have some mention.

Also, what is the difference between:

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 02:54:16PM +0100, victor wrote:
> On Monday 30 January 2006 20:48, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> > Now that you have a working wscons system you can - if you feel like it
> > - run XFree86 with acceleration. Binaries can be found in any recent
> > -current snapshot on I know it works on sparc64 but
> > none of my 32bit SPARCs has a cg6 or even an SBus slot.
> >
> > All you'd need to do to get it to work is (hopefully):
> > - have /usr/X11R6/bin/X point to XFree86
> > - run X -configure to get a config file
> > - add 'DefaultDepth 8' to the 'Screen' section ( X defaults to 16 bit
> >   which the cg6 doesn't support, didn't find out how to get around that
> >   yet )
> > - save the config file as /etc/X11/XF86Config
> > - startx
> I untarred the necessary files from, but there's no Xfree86
> file in /usr/X11R6/bin/ for /usr/X11R6/bin/X to point at... By default X
> points at Xsun, do I have to create the Xfree86 file manually?

SDF Public Access UNIX System -