Subject: wscons and XFree keyboard problems on SPARCbook 3TX
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/28/2005 21:48:19
Hi,

I've built a custom kernel with wscons support from yesterday's
-current source, and installed the latest available binary snapshot
from from the daily builds on ftp.netbsd.org (200510190000Z). Recent
-current doesn't build a release.

The kernel and the console works fine, on my Tadpole S3TX, although
I cannot switch virtual consoles. After some minor adjustments to
the config file generated by XFree86 -configure (namely changing
DefaultDepth and mouse protocol and device) the Xserver starts, and
the display looks fine, and the mouse can be moved. (The server
takes considerably longer to start than the Xsun, though).

However, I cannot type anything useful at all, only random characters
appear instead of the ones I type. This happens regardless of the
way I start the Xserver, i. e. via xinit/startx or via xdm. I didn't
find any clue as to what happens or how I could fix it. Does it
work on other SPARCbooks, and/or sun4m machines with cgsix? Anything
I could try?

The good news is that -current appears to be quite stable again,
maybe it was due to the cache flush problem with split-I/D-cache
machines that was fixed recently.

Keep up the good work, and thanks a lot for bringing new hardware
support to the Tadpole. I'm typing this via WLAN/IPSEC on the
SPARCbook :)

Cheers,
Bernd

--