Subject: Re: Free Sparc 5/70 in Seattle, WA (Capitol Hill)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Ted Havelka <ted@cs.pdx.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/21/2005 22:45:19
Hello Christopher and port-Sparc list,

My name is Ted Havelka, retro-computing enthusiast from Portland Oregon.
I would give your Spark 5 a home, if there are no closer or otherwise more
appropriate takers of your offer.

Most of my experience operating system wise is with FreeBSD and Debian
Linux.  I volunteer here in Portland a place called FreeGeek, where they
refurbish and install Linux on (or recycle as appropriate) older computers
and related equipment.  If you're interested, you may check out their good
works at www.freegeek.org.

From time to time FreeGeek gets some older Sun equipment, and I recently
succeeded in installing NetBSD on a SparcIPX/25 from them.  I've taken on
the task of watching for and testing Sun equipment that reaches FreeGeek,
and hope to learn a lot more about configuring NetBSD on these older
hardware platforms.

Would the cost of bringing your Sparc 5 to Portland then entail only
shipping charges?  Do you have any cause to visit our city in the coming
weeks?

- Ted
                                       -   O
Portland State Aerospace Society    -   _<_\_         Veris Industries
http://psas.pdx.edu                    W >\_             www.veris.com
ted@cs.pdx.edu                        ( ) ( )    ted.havelka@veris.com