Subject: Re: Installation question.
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Laurent FAILLIE <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/20/2005 18:04:57
Hi Bernd,

[...]

> > SS5 to take in account the new CPU and larger
> memories
> > (optimisation ?).
>
> You can build an optimised kernel. It may run very
> slightly faster
> if it contains support only for sun4m machines, and
> not for sun4c.

Ok.

> Memeory will not be an issue. NetBSD detects and
> uses whatever is
> there with reasonable default starting values for
> buffers sizes
> etc.

Cool.

> You can fine tune some kernel parameters if you
> think that it's
> not running as well as it should,

I have some strange memory usage with my current 1.6.
If you have a look at
http://ra.chez.moi:8080/~smlbrth/, the pink curve is
the memory usage : it looks like JAVA's garbage
collector which is IMO, a dad thing : the memory is
never realy freed until there is not enough space to
process a request. As result, my system become very
very slow : it seems it retreave memory even from
swap. It's very anoying for interactive users or for
real time action.

I hope this "feature" is not present on 2.0 or is
tunable.

> but since you use
> an older Sparc
> as web server I assume it's not a heavily loaded
> server anyway.

Without this memory issue, I have a very good response
time with my old SS5, even if it has to process on fly
all requested photos to add copyright (the blue curve
is load average, pics during nights are some
statistics batches).

> Fine tuning kernel VM parameters is an arcane art
> and take a _lot_
> of trial and error in most cases.
>

> > 2.2/ idem for applications : I run Apache2,
> > Postgresql, PHP and I compile them form original
> > sources + some network tools as DHCP server, DNS,
> NAT,
>
> You mean you don't use pkgsrc to install software,
> but compile them
> manually? Why? pkgsrc also does compile from
> original sources, but
> frees you from all the tedious work.

I know, and I use it for tools I use only on my Netbsd
systems. But I use apache/php/postgres on many other
systems (Solaris, HP-UX, ...) and it's very convenient
for me to use the same configuration and same commands
everywhere.

> > If I compile them on my SS2, will the binaries the
> > binary run on my SS5 ?
>
> Yes.
>
> You may want to rebuild versions optimised for sparc
> v8 to take
> advantage of some of the newer processor
> architecture. But for most
> stuff the gains will be small.

Bye

Laurent

The misspelling master is on the Web.
   _________	100 % Dictionnary Free !
 /  Dico  / /	Pleins d'autres fautes sur
/________/ /	http://go.to/destroyedlolo
(#######( /	http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org:8080
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.