Subject: Re: DBRI audio
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/16/2005 20:36:05
On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 11:00:35AM -0400, Michael wrote:
> Exactly. I had things like this even with a Pentium 120 laptop. The MI
> audio layer is supposed to insert silence when the userland client can't
> keep up the data rate, but at 100% CPU load it's probably unable to do
> that in time so you'll also get echoes sometimes.

Well, not quite: I can play mp3s on my Krups (110 MHz v8 sparc) pretty well,
at slightly above 40% CPU utilization.

BUT: you need a big output buffer to have non-skippy output.

mpg123 has a -b argument, I use "mpg123 -b 1024". But: on some versions of
mpg123 it just does not work, and apparently developement of newer versions
has stalled completely.

All other alternatives I've tried are worse: they decode in integer arithmetic
(e.g. by using madlib) - and integer performance on sparc is comparatively
low.

The ogg decoders I've seen are pretty good in using the FPU, but are using
multiple threads and unfortunately, last time I tried, hit MD bugs in
libpthread (or the kernel, no idea) on sparc.

Martin