Subject: Re: SPARCbook and PCMCIA
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/03/2005 15:09:54
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 03:05:23PM -0400, Michael wrote:
> > Hmm, I wonder if there are PCMCIA USB cards - those I've seen so far
> > were all CardBus which won't fit into the SPARCbook's slots ( besides
> > being sort of PCI in drag which wouldn't work anyway )
>
> Yeah, I've been looking for pcmcia <-> usb stuff too, but only found
> cardbus so far. If anyone has pointers...

You're going to be looking for a while. PCMCIA isn't so good with the
DMA (older revisions of the PCMCIA spec didn't specify any DMA, so
most PCMCIA bridges don't support it). Our PCMCIA code doesn't support
what little DMA there is in the PCMCIA world.

However, all respectable USB controllers depend heavily on DMA, so
there's a pretty fundamental problem with putting them on PCMCIA.  You
*might* find something based on the ScanLogic SL811 chip (slhci) or
Phillips ISP116x chips, but either way you'd have a lot of
driver-debugging or driver-writing in front of you.

        - Nathan