Subject: Re: Compiler Optimisation (was RE: pkgscr installation)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/19/2005 20:18:35
On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 07:18:15PM +0200, Marcus Franke wrote:
> But just one of them, where could I get a second of these?
> I bought this machine at ebay for a few bucks, because I always
> wanted to own such a box.

Whoops - misread you info - thought you had two :) Best place is probably
ePay - I saw an SM71 listed just last night. It's probably best if you get
a matching CPU (same speed and cache size) - some people have had success
mixing and matching, but I haven't...

> # mount -v
> /dev/sd0a on / type ffs (local, root file system, writes: sync 550 async
> 3237)
> /dev/sd0d on /var type ffs (local, writes: sync 7613 async 2292)
> /dev/sd0g on /usr type ffs (local, writes: sync 405914 async 13099)
> /dev/sd0e on /home type ffs (local, writes: sync 7 async 277)
> kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local, writes: sync 0 async 0)
>
> So, /usr is mounted async, but what does this mean?

Nope, it's not - it would say 'async' after local if it were. The 'async'
above just refers to writes that have taken place. mount(8) explains all
the options in detail (I've had good results using soft updates rather than
async mounts, YMMV).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mj.turner.org.za/