Subject: Compiler Optimisation (was RE: pkgscr installation)
To: 'Marcus Franke' <marcus.franke@gmx.net>
From: Gary Parker <G.J.Parker@lboro.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/19/2005 14:19:34

Okay, run:

dmesg | grep cpu

And examine the output, I get the following on my 2 CPU system:

cpu0 at mainbus0: mid 8: RT620/625 @ 150 MHz, on-chip FPU
cpu0: 512K byte write-back, 32 bytes/line, sw flush: cache enabled
cpu1 at mainbus0: mid 10: RT620/625 @ 150 MHz, on-chip FPU
cpu1: 512K byte write-back, 32 bytes/line, sw flush: cache enabled
cpu0: booting secondary processors: cpu1

The pertinent information is the 'RT620/625 @ 150 MHz' telling me that I
have an RT620/625 running at 150 MHZ (two, in fact).

Look up your CPU type (either RT*, HS*, SM* or CY*) on this page:

http://mbus.sunhelp.org/modules/

and determine what family your CPU is from and, hence, what optimisation you
need to apply, it will be either supersparc or hypersparc.

The reason for doing all this is that (amongst other things) some SPARC
processors have better FPU instructions than others and by default the
software on install CDs is compiled for the lowest common denominator.
You'll particularly notice a speed improvement in SSL and SSH operations. If
you've got the time, inclination and disk space it's also worthwhile doing a
full build world with your optimised compiler settings.

Gary