Subject: Re: Bad pAUX_base
To: Andreas_Hallmann <hallmann@hallhard.darktech.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/12/2005 07:35:09
Hello,

> > >What is "Bad pAUX_base" and what causes it? Hardware problem?
> > >
> > >The box is an SS5/110 with 96 megs of memory.
> > >

> I'm getting thestrong impression, that we have some micro sparc II problems here.
Seems so, my SPARCbook 3GX shows the same problem, although not exactly frequently ( once every couple of days, and I'm using it a lot lately ). Since I upgraded the userland to -current I get internal compiler errors from gcc now and then - didn't happen with a 2.0 userland. On the other hand - I'm not too sure how far I can trust my -current userland.

> I had a SS4/110Mhz 96 MB here, which run 2.0 from the first beta's to 2.0.1.
> It stayed instable. With 2.0.1 (compiled for v8) I even was not able to compile
> a simple package like pkg_install. (dumping core in sh -- search mailing list)
> But exactly same 2.0.1 v8 release build work perfect on a turbo sparc here.
Yes, I remember this. I got around it by putting SH=/usr/bin/ksh into mk.conf - almost forgot about it.
Seems to be a strange oddity in sh - some packages would barf with ksh but curiously these would compile with sh. In -current sh seems to work fine, but I didn't compile /that/ many packages yet.

have fun
Michael