Subject: Re: More SPARCbook insanity
To: None <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/10/2005 15:50:08
Hello,

> > I also made a new test kernel, with boye-flipping on PCMCIA reversed, please try it and tell me if anything PCMCIAish works with it.
> > Get it here: http://macallan.homeunix.org:6704/stuff/BSD/sparc/SPARCbook3GX_04_07.bz2
>
> I tested it and got alittle further than with the previous one:
>
> See http://nuxi.homeunix.org/NetBSD/sparc/dmesg-PCMCIA.log
>
> I inserted the card twice in the upper and once in the lower slot.
Oh, you got a lot further. Before the driver didn't get past card initialization.

> Note that it is indeed not an "unknown Lucent chipset", but rather
> a well-known PRISM 2.5.
Hmm, my sources are pretty fresh. Does this card need anything else than
wi* at pcmcia?
?
Any additional options?

> This is a problem I also sometimes get when using the card in the
> z50 (hpcmips/mipsel).  In that case removing and reinserting the
> card (no more than 5 times usually) cures the problem. My impression
> was that on the z50 it was caused by insufficient power supply to
> the slots, high power drain when initialising the chipset, and
> subsequent voltage drop and interruption of initialisation. But
> since it also happens on sparc, it may be something different there.
Hmm, the ts102 supports 3.3v and 5v cards, I didn't have a look at the logic behind this, it may well be that your card gets the wrong voltage.

> The MAC address read from the card is correct.
Good :)

> I find the prospect to get working PCMCIA on the sparcbook soon
> quite exciting. :)
Hrm, I fear I can't do a lot without a supported card. I'll have a look at what causes this:
wi0: record read mismatch, rid=fd0b, got=bfd
wi0: using Unknown Lucent chipwi0: record read mismatch, rid=fd20, got=20fd

wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station (0.0.0)
wi0: record read mismatch, rid=fd10, got=10fd
wi0: using default channel list
wi0: record read mismatch, rid=fc03, got=3fc
wi0: record read mismatch, rid=fd4f, got=4ffd
wi0: record read mismatch, rid=fdc6, got=c6fd

it seems there are still some endianness irregularities. The kernel you tried used hardware byteswapping, looks like it doesn't always do what it's supposed to do - I'll make another one which uses software swapping.

> Btw, are there any PCMCIA (not Cardbus) USB cards?
Hmm, there are USB ISA cards, so that's definitely a maybe. I saw a lot of USB cards in the right size, but they may well be CardBus, kind of hard to tell just by looking at them from afar. ( some small notch next to the connector is the whole difference )

> It would be a killer to have USB on the SPARCbook.
Indeed.

have fun
Michael