Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 and bind 9.3.x
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/16/2005 10:06:48
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:26:05PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:
> I would like to change over to another SS5 running 2.0.1. Bind 9.3.1 with
> threads builds out of the box on this system. I haven't done any tests
> yet. Are there thread problems that would make this impractical?

Until yesterday I was running bind 9.3.0 on a SPARCclassic (running NetBSD
2.0) as my secondary DNS server/caching DNS on my home network. I've had to
switch back to bind8 because 9.3.0 killed the machine twice in a week -
name resolution stops working and when I try and restart the bind process
the machine becomes unresponsive and I eventually have to break into the
PROM and reset it. There's nothing useful in the logs or on the console.
I'm not sure if my 9.3.0 was built with threads - it's the default build
from pkgsrc-current as of a few weeks ago.

Haven't really had a chance to investigate further, but now that you
mention threads, I'm wondering if that doesn't have something to do with
it, although I thought only sparc64 had thread issues with 2.0?

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mj.turner.org.za/
mj@turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/