Subject: Re: SPARCbook and wscons - testers wanted
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/08/2005 17:52:44
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:42:24 -0500, Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > > The cgsix driver supports acceleration and wscons but no virtual consoles (yet).
> > > So, please test these kernels and tell me about...
> > > - how it works at all
> >
> > Works great here, I've got 8 virtual consoles at 100x37 - finally, a
> > full screen text console on this thing :-)
> Cool :-)
>
> > Only thing it's missing is ANSI color... I just get shades of grey.
> That's the sun terminal emulation, a kernel with vt100 support should do colour as well.

Hmm... I was able to do color with just plain rasterconsole, but the
ligher colors were invisible on the white background. this was with a
sun termtype on console... but I imagine there is more to it than
that, I haven't really looked.

The driver loads the ANSI colour map from rasops anyway.

> > But I can live with that, it's still a huge improvement over what I
> > had to deal with on the sparcbook before.
> I'll compile a kernel with vt100 support later - I'm fiddling with the DBRI part right now, it took me all day to figure out how to power it up :/

jmcneill was working on DBRI - he wanted me to give him my sparcbook
so he could hack at it - perhaps he could help you avoid reinventing
too much of the wheel? :)

> Maybe we'll have some basic audio in the not too far future :)

That'd be nice, although I hate to think what playing mp3s would do to
the already unpleasant heat situation on the 3GX's... ;-)

--
Sean