Subject: Re: IPC 12 MB of RAM is running out of memory during install of NetBSD-2.0
To: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
From: Andreas Hallmann <hallmann@hallhard.darktech.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/22/2005 10:07:40
Henry Nelson wrote:

>On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 01:04:43AM +0100, Tru Huynh wrote:
>

>>I am try to install NetBSD-2.0 from the multi-arch CDROM
>>on a IPC with only 12MB of RAM (12x1MB).
>>
>>The system boots from the CDROM and begin the installation but can't proceed
>>after failing to disklabel or running /bin/sh from the utility menu.
>>

>Maybe it's no help, but I have installed both 1.4.3 and 1.5.2 on an IPC
>with only 12MB of memory (actually the former with only 8MB) by floppy/ftp.
>
>I have had sysinst fail at disklabel with 1.6.2 on machines with more
>memory (36MB).  AFAICT, this happens on machines where I have used a
>hard disk which has never been in a Sun.  Until I work things out, I'll
>just format these disks first with Solaris2.6, which seems to solve the
>problem.

I put >Schily's sformat into pkgsrc. Old sun users know it as the first
and still best disk format and repair program.
You can use it to build a sun disklabel.

Yes I  had problems with sysinst without perfect sun disklabels.
I had some suns with NeXTstep/sparc running.
They use a sun label with all partitions starting at 0 with 0 sectors to
protect there selves
against SunOS/Solaris boots on other disks.
This Labels made sysinst core dump.

But sformat solved this issue for me.
Sorry but I didn't manage to make sformat statically linked, since
Schilly's sources
live in there own build evironment -- It took me to days of  trial and
error to find a way to let them live in pkgsrc.
Give it a try. Once you made yourself confortable with the large set of
options ---
you can even bring dead drives back to live. sformats surface analysis
and setting of disk
parameters is cleary part of best engeneering I ever saw. Discs repaired
with sformat are definitivly
trust worthy.