Subject: Re: IPC 12 MB of RAM is running out of memory during install of NetBSD-2.0
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/20/2005 09:40:58
On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 01:04:43AM +0100, Tru Huynh wrote:
> I am try to install NetBSD-2.0 from the multi-arch CDROM
> on a IPC with only 12MB of RAM (12x1MB).
>
> The system boots from the CDROM and begin the installation but can't proceed
> after failing to disklabel or running /bin/sh from the utility menu.

Maybe it's no help, but I have installed both 1.4.3 and 1.5.2 on an IPC
with only 12MB of memory (actually the former with only 8MB) by floppy/ftp.

I have had sysinst fail at disklabel with 1.6.2 on machines with more
memory (36MB).  AFAICT, this happens on machines where I have used a
hard disk which has never been in a Sun.  Until I work things out, I'll
just format these disks first with Solaris2.6, which seems to solve the
problem.

--
henry nelson