Subject: Re: NetBSD2.0/sparc not ready for prime time?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/12/2005 10:13:46
> Yep, that sounds right.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder if sysinst
> shouldn't put up a warning about disks manufactured before around 1998.
> Or, perhaps there should be code to switch calculation methods based on
> the size of the disk, anything less than about 4GB is CHS with partitions
> on cylinder boundaries, anything over 8GB uses sector-based calculations.

Sysinst tries quite hard to align partitions on cylinder boundaries.
This is a slight problem on i386 where there are two different geometries
reported - neither of which actually represents the physical disk!

The sun disklabel splits the disk up on cylinder boundaries, so any
partial cylinder at the end of the disk cannot be used.

Failure of the last few cylinders could be caused by that part of the
disk being where the heads land when powered off.  This does cause some
damage.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk