Subject: Re: boot floppy disk2 trouble.
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/01/2005 23:41:36
Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> Just as another data point, I had to use a half-dozen brand new floppies
> (probably not as brand new as I would have hoped) before I got a pair
> that worked. This took several hours of experimenting. Plus, the
> floppies passed fdformat without errors.
>
> Floppies are not very reliable any more (if they ever were).

thks to all for help.

I tried for quite a while with floppies today and had
alot of trouble just formatting them and dd'ing them.
then they didn't work at booting anyway.

i think i've learned my lesson.
floppies just aren't a long term way of bootin the machine.
the disks and the drives age too much.
a few years ago it would work ok. but now they are too stuffed.

I grabbed the cd ISO and had it installed in 30mins.:)

thks again,
Paul.

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:
>

> > i've tried 2 different floppies, same result.
> > but floppy 1 works & another backup floppy
> > reads ok.
> >
> > how to read them to verify?
> > I tried to mount it but that doesn't work.
> >
> > thks,
> > p.
> >

> > matthew green wrote:
> >
> >> could you please verify that the floppy disks you are using are
> >> stable and you can re-read the data off them identically?  my
> >> first reactin oto floppy install failures is to blame the floppy's
> >> themselves...
> >>
> >> otherwise maybe they're just broken and haven't been tested until
> >> now ;-)
> >>
> >> .mrg.
>
> --
> Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@twofifty.com
> BSEE(6/86) + BSChem(3/95) + BAEnglish(8/95) + MSCS(8/03) + $2.50 = latte

Paul
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology