Subject: Re: NetBSD2.0/sparc not ready for prime time?
To: None <uban@ubanproductions.com>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/31/2005 13:49:43
Tom Uban <uban@ubanproductions.com> wrote:

> I entered this endeavour because I figured that 1.4.1 was getting a bit
> stale and that it was time to update various applications along the way.
> The installation was going pretty smoothly until the apache/pthread
> encounter. Is anyone successfully running a sparc firewall/server with
> NetBSD2.0, apache, etc?

 I have a SPARC-20 with one 50 MHz CPU:

cpu0 at mainbus0: TMS390Z50 v0 or TMS390Z55 @ 50 MHz, on-chip FPU
cpu0: physical 20K instruction (64 b/l), 16K data (32 b/l): cache enabled

...running 2.0.  Vishnu is my main DNS (bind9), MX (Postfix 2.1.5), and
(mit) KDC. Everything is built from pkgsrc. I cross-compiled my one
sun4m-optmized 2.0 on an Alpha running 2.0. Vishnu gets about 50,000 spam
attempts a day, so it's actually a pretty busy little machine.

Since it was upgraded about 2 weeks ago, it's been rock solid. I'm going
to install an additional 50 Mhz CPU and some more RAM, and switch to the
MP kernel, and then i can follow up with the results.

However, i do not run Apache on this machine.  I do have another SPARC-20
(my SPARC test machine and desktop, brahma) already running the MP kernel.
I could try to bring up Apache there if you need a comparative data point.

 -johan