Subject: Re: 2.0 doesn't boot on 4/300
To: None <jdc@coris.org.uk>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/21/2005 13:01:02
   I tried to put 2.0 on a 4/330.  A couple of problems.  The bootloader doesn't
   load the kernel:

     >> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.14
     >> (root@sparky.coris.org.uk, Tue Nov 30 12:12:07 GMT 2004)
     Booting netbsd
     -
     Bus Error at Virtual address 0xF0000000 (Physical address 0x00100000)
     with PC 0x0038BDF8.  A SIZE error was detected.  Type 0.

   The previous version was 1.12, so I went back to that.  The kernel boots with
   1.12 and gets as far as:

     sparcvme0 at mainbus0
     vme0 at sparcvme0

   and no further.  I added some debug and see that it never gets past the call
   to spl0() at the bottom of cpu_configure().  With some help (thanks, uwe!), I
   see from ddb, that intrcnt+10 is increasing rapidly.  I presume this is level
   4 interrupts?

     dma0 at obio0 addr 0xfa001000 level 4: DMA rev 0
     esp0 at obio0 addr 0xfa000000 level 4: ESP100A, 24MHz, SCSI ID 7

   I haven't had a chance to look further.

   Any ideas on either of these?

   Thanks,

     My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
	   http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/

No help here, but this is basically my experience with my 4/110.  I don't
remember any version of NetBSD working on it since 1.3 or so [The 1.4
family might have functioned].  Although, I don't remember all the issues
that were involved, the sparcvme intro was one area that caused trouble.
The last version I think I tried was 1.5.[12] and it failed in one way or
another on either the scsi driver or ethernet.

I can't do a whole lot about this, having little time for such things at
this point, but I can probably offer remote console access to anyone who
would like to try and figure out what is wrong.

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - PSK31 8pm EDT most days 50.220+
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]