Subject: IPCs and NetBSD1.6 [was Re: anyone got a sun4 or sun4c class machine?]
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/18/2005 09:04:46
On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:35:43AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:14:46AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 08:59:32AM -0500, Brad Spencer wrote:
> > > I might be able to help with the sun4c machine, let me know in private
> > > email what you need.  I can't be of help with the sun4 box as NetBSD has
> > > not worked on my 4/110 for quite some number of releases.
> >
> > Are others having success with running NetBSD 1.6 or above on IPCs?  I
>
> My home DSL router has been running 1.6.x for some years, and is now
> hapilly running 2.0. It's a IPC with 48MB RAM and 2 hard disks.

That's what I wanted to hear!  One more question: do you have a custom
kernel on that machine?  I wasn't able to get enough time to configure
and compile one, and wondered if perhaps running GENERIC wasn't the root
of my problems.  In particular, google-ing around, I am starting to get
the message that I should turn off "tagged queing" (something like that,
anyway) on the Quantum disk I put in there, same model both machines.

Also, those 2 hard disks; is one internal and the other external?  What
size?  When I did the upgrade, I also upgraded from 500MB disks to
1.2GB disks.  I was wondering if it would be better to keep those 500MB
disks on the internal connector.

Thanks so much for your input on this semi-off-topic.

--
henry nelson