Subject: Re: Two Voyager issues
To: None <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/08/2005 12:49:47
In article <Pine.NEB.4.53.0501071429090.22713@david.technoskunk.fur> you write:
>David C. Myers wrote:
>
>> First, maddeningly, the keyboard doesn't repeat when you hold a key down
>> under X.  I tried the obvious thing ('xset r on'), but it doesn't help.
>> Thinking maybe it had something to do with the X binaries I cross-built
>> from my i386 machine, I downloaded a fresh set of binaries from
>> ftp.netbsd.org.  Same issue.  Any ideas?
>
>I posted about similar behavior on my SS5 back in November.  See:
>
>    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2004/11/11/0000.html
>
>I then did some poking around and found a workaround.  See:
>
>    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2004/11/14/0000.html

FWIW, that workaround works on my ELC.  I note that setting the dealy to
anything other than 660 (say 659 or 661) works correctly -- it's only 660
that fails.  I've not worked out why, yet.

Incidentally, I tracked down the problem with xdm beeping on every keypress.
It turned out to be caused by the kbd(4) driver's having stopped filtering
out idle events from the keyboard.  Once I reinstated the idle-event
filtering, the beeps went away.  Since the bug actually seems to affect
someone other than me, I'll request a pull-up for 2.1.

--
Ben Harris                                                   <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/acorn26/>