Subject: out of space in kmem_map on 2.0
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/07/2005 19:16:53
Hi,

My SS20 died with 'panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map' this
afternoon while processing mail, it's running 2.0 MP with
fetchmail/procmail/spamassassin. Checking the port-sparc mail archive, I
see a similar problem on a SS2 in December and the suggestion then was
to increase NKMEMPAGES. Does that solve the problem and if so, what is
a good number to increase it by?

Possibly related: I checked the logs and before it died I was getting
memory allocation errors from the scsi driver:

  /netbsd: sd0(esp0:0:3:0): unable to allocate scsipi_xfer
  /netbsd: sdstart(): try again

My system is a SS20 with dual Ross HyperSparcs and 256MB RAM. Kernel is
2.0 MP release and NKMEMPAGES is currently 1536.

Regards,
George