Subject: Re: install netbsd on sparcstation 5 with limited resources
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/06/2005 14:15:38
> Hi, I have acquired a sun sparcstation5 and I would like to install
> netbsd on it, but the problem is that I have no keyboard/mouse nor
> screen for it.  I guess I could try the network install,

I must be missing something; I don't see any incompatability between
serial console and a non-network install.

> but I would need to know the MAC address (which I can't see because I
> have no screen, and have no serial connection to see remotely, (I
> think)).

Ah.  Yes, you will need a console of *some* sort - whether serial or
screen-and-keyboard matters little at this point.

> There are no cdrom nor floppy in my sparcstation either.

That will be a problem.  You will need another machine to help with the
install somehow - and given another machine, you surely can arrange a
serial console connection?  (The other machine can help in at least two
roles, either as a netboot server or as a way to set up the disk.)

> So, since I can write to the scsi disk, I thought the thing I could
> do was to write a small working netbsd system on it, compiled for
> sparc.

Yes.  You have to know what you're doing, though.  You can get most of
the way there by untarring the distributions sets and running MAKEDEV;
the major piece missing will be bootblocks.  You might be able to build
the SPARC installboot on your helper machine even if it's not a SPARC;
I've done something similar myself a time or two.

> [...] [do] any such working disk images ready to be cloned exist?

I could give you an image of one of mine, but unless you want to run a
mutant 1.4T that won't be much use to you.  I don't know of anyone who
distributes such things routinely.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign