Subject: Re: sysinst problems
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/04/2004 03:44:56
>> "Make it an option."  I reserve the right to tell the system that "I
>> know what the hell I'm doing".

> But in this specific case [...] there is no valid reason possible to
> store random half-baked cryptic "notes" as overlapping partitions in
> an in-use disklabel to _anyone_,

All through this discussion, you have persisted in fallacies such as
begging the question and circular argument by wording such as `random
half-baked cryptic "notes"', saying there `is no valid reason possible'
(where, apparently, "valid" means "acceptable to Greg Woods"), calling
such a setup a `broken mess', saying (without marshaling any support
for the statement) that `there is no sense, logic, or value to [such a
thing]' despite the sense, logic, and value greywolf and I find in them.

And to call you on one more point of invalid argument technique ("I've
been doing this for a long time so I must know what I'm talking
about"):

> [...] my 20 years of almost daily sysadmin activities [...]

Well, if you want to haul out experience, I've been a sysadmin of some
sort since some uncertain time between 1974 and 1981 (exactly when
depends on just what counts as sysadminning); paid since 1981;
full-time paid from 1984 to 1997 (with one year of leave, ¾'93+¼'94,
during which I still ran my own machine); since 1997, part-time paid,
on my own machines, and incidental to other paid work.

I see no point in drawing this out any further.  You have seen our
explanations and do not credit the sense and value we see in the kind
of setups in question; we have seen your statements and do not credit
the nonsense and worthlessness you see in such setups.  Since the
disagreement is, fundamentally, on how we value certain things, there
is no basis for logical argument; it has now degenerated into "Is not!"
"Is too!".

I am willing to agree to disagree.  I certainly will not carry the "is
not!" "is too!" any further.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign