Subject: Re: sysinst problems
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/02/2004 11:47:03
--3v/vPZnlCeuYLnyQ

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 05:20:38PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
  | >>     aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa     dddddddddddbbbbbbbbbb
  | >>                                   eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  | > sysinst doesn't want it that way - it is usually a bug waiting to
  | > happen
  |=20
  | sysinst obviously doesn't want it that way.  My comment was more "there
  | needs to be a `yes, dammit, I know what I'm doing and any resulting
  | problems are my own lookout' knob".

On one hand, I agree; providing such a knob could be beneficial.

On the other, I've dealt with numerous support issues because people
have unconditionally used `expert-mode' knobs and complained because
things broke.  (c.f., "build.sh -E").
I.e, I have a fear of clueless knobs overrating their ability to use
expert-mode knobs.

--3v/vPZnlCeuYLnyQ

--3v/vPZnlCeuYLnyQ--