Subject: Re: TCX FB Support in NetBSD 2.0
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/26/2004 00:31:01
> I found some information here:

> http://www.x.org/contrib/servers/sun/

> Which claims to be a patch to enable 24-bit accelerated framebuffer
> support on the TCX under X11R6.4.

I read over the patch, and I believe there's a typo: it should read
"_un_accelerated".  The only thing I can see that could possibly be
termed acceleration is that it uses the 8bpp mode of the hardware
sometimes - presumably when displaying 8bpp windows.  (It also
_appears_ to do zaphodic switching between 24bpp and 8bpp, though I'm
not certain of that.  My S24 server does 8bpp and 24bpp on the screen
at the same time - full details are doubtless in the list archives, or
ftp.rodents.montreal.qc.ca:/mouse/X/source/patches/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/s24/.)

Also, almost all of the interesting stuff is #ifdef linux, even stuff
that actually isn't Linux-specific, though of course that's fixable.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign