Subject: Re: Performance?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/23/2004 17:26:49
On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 01:17:21PM -0500, Johan A.van Zanten wrote:
> you built Apache, Mysql and PHP that the binaries are not optimized for
> your SPARC 5, which is a "sun4m" machine (V8 of the SPARC CPU
> architecture). Instead, by default they were probably built to run on any
> SPARC machine, which includes the older sun4c (SPARC V7) machines, like a
> SPARC 1, 1+, or 2 (and many others).
>
>  If you didn't do so previously, calling gcc like this:
>
> gcc -mcpu=v8 -mtune=supersparc

May I assume this is good for the SPARCclassic, which is also sun4m?

>  If you are building from /usr/pkgsrc, see the man page for mk.conf on how

Actually, I build almost everything from the tarballs.  In general do
these architecture optimizations go into CFLAGS, or should I define CC
with the options included?  (Or, even more drastic, should I be building
gcc somehow so that it uses these optimizations by default?)

Thanks a million.

--
henry nelson