Subject: Mixing port-sparc on 32 and 64 bit hardware
To: NetBSD SPARC list <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/11/2004 16:37:45
Hi,
I've finally got my hands on a cheap PCI SUN SCSI card, and to test it, I
thought I'd just plug a HD with a SPARC port using the sun4u kernel.

It appears that the sparc bootloader doesn't work with sun4u, so to
exercise the card I just installed the sparc64 port.

Now, my question is, will the sparc64 bootloader work with sparc? I assume
no, so then the question becomes how do I make the same 32-bit
installation usable on both sparc and sparc64? At the moment, I just
installed sparc64 into a different partition, but I'd prefer to run sparc
in 32 bit mode if possible on both.

I presume I could have a /boot partition for each platform, a shared /,
and build respective kernels to mount / from the non-boot partition as is
done now. Am I on track?

Cheers,
Christian

--