Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/10/2004 11:32:35
> >> Just an informal poll here...I just setup NetBSD 1.6.2 on my ss20
> >> and am having fun setting it up. I'm curious what others are using
> >> it for on this hardware...

A few months ago I picked up a SS20 (32MB RAM, cgsix, 1GB disk), although
since I don't have any Sun peripherals, I'm accessing it over
Ethernet/console only.

It came with SunOS 5.7 and just for kicks I set it up on an isolated part of
my LAN and watched people hack into it from the Internet -- it amazed me how
many different root exploits are around for that level of SunOS :)

The other night I just installed 1.6.2 via netboot (with one of my FreeBSD
machines handling DHCP/TFTP/NFS) and it went off without a hitch.  I was
quite amazed at how well everything worked (the excellent documentation was
a great help), so kudos to NetBSD on this.

As for what I'm using it for, well, I haven't quite figured that part out
yet.  I might move my internal mail/web services over to it (since the load
is pretty light and the SS20 should be able to handle it nicely.)  This will
let me retire my dual Pentium-133 box (running FreeBSD) which has been up
24x7x365 for over 7 years now (with semi-annual maintainance windows) -- it
might not come up after the next reboot :)

--
Matt Emmerton