Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
To: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/01/2004 15:22:42
[ On Thursday, September 30, 2004 at 17:28:06 (-0600), Tillman Hodgson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
>
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 04:04:39PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> > The IPX and the SS5/20 are, without a doubt, the BEST physical
> > engineering feats that Sun has pulled off.
>
> What is it about the SS10 that makes it less desireable, in your eyes?
>
> (I've never oned a 5 or 20 ...)

I don't know about Grewolf but I'd say the SS10 is, and always was, a
waste of good engineering and manufacturing effort.

The SS10 is almost an SS20 in most respects, but it is not nearly so
expandable, and yet the price difference was completely pointless (and
it still is on the used market today!).

If they'd have just put a tiny bit more effort into the SS20, and not
wasted any R&D money on the SS10, then the SS20 (and even the SS5) could
have been made somewhat more dynamic and with a less expensive low-end
configuration.

In any case at this point I'd only take an SS10 for free or very near to
it, but I'd still pay money (at the going rate :-) for a high-end SS5 or
most any decent SS20 (i.e. with reasonably fast CPUs and enough memory
to run as a web server or such).

--
						Greg A. Woods