Subject: re: sparc/conf/GENERIC_SUN4U -> sparc64 ?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/01/2004 08:37:39
the reason it's done the way it is today is that the sparc and sparc64
ports are separate - we have arch/sparc and arch/sparc64, and that name
has traditionally always been the $MACHINE in netbsd, so way back when
we chose to always use "sparc64" on sun4u machines, and let $MACHINE_ARCH
be used for deciding the native binary format.

i'm really loathe to change this beacuse we've had several years of
software being changed to suit this...

BTW, for bulk builds, shouldn't you be using libkver anyway, which
should allow one to work around this if it is really an issue in pkgsrc?

note that i've been running a 32 bit sun4u as my main server for several
years now and i've very rarely had issues due to $MACHINE==sparc64.

perhaps create a sysctl to control it for now, so we can play and see?

.mrg.