Subject: Re: NetBSD/Sparc installation problem (2-0)
To: Robert Nestor <rnestor@murphy.dyndns.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/01/2004 13:46:12
--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

Dear folks, beste Paul,

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 09:18:22PM -0500, Robert Nestor wrote:
> >Any luck on you getting a bootable NetBSD image? i.e. with integrated
> >memory disc? that would be great :)
>=20
> I'd be happy to do one, but since it isn't part of a standard build it=20
> will require some modification of the build process or scripts and I=20
> doubt if I know how to do that.
>=20
> I have a cross-build job that runs on a NetBSD/i386 system which=20
> generates bootable CDs for the various systems I use at home and work=20
> (i386, sparc, mac68k and macppc).  So all I do is run the build.sh=20
> script in a cron job.
>=20
> Do you happen to know what changes would be needed and where?  I=20
> checked src/etc/etc.sparc/Makefile.inc and it does appear to build an=20
> Installation Kernel!!  It appears to get renamed into the=20
> installation/bootfs/netbsd.ram.gz file.  On the VAX that is the=20
> installation kernel.  Could that be what you're looking for?

Allthough i wouldn't have recognized the netbsd.ram.gz as the `install'=20
kernel in the first place, i tried to boot it and i got a kind of=20
micro-installer that asks me if i want to load in the rest from either=20
tape, cdrom or floppy....=20

well... euhm.... no disc?? would be allmost trivial to replace the ram disc=
=20
image of the `micro-installer' with one of the other filingsystems if it=20
not be that it was allready stipped and thus not possible without hacking=
=20
or more knowledge.

A single INSTALL kernel with the ramdisc embedded with it like in=20
NetBSD/acorn32, NetBSD/alpha, NetBSD/pmax etc would be very handy :)

Propably also handy for 2-0 upgrading...

Cheers,
Reinoud

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt--