Subject: Re: SPARCstation-5/170
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/23/2004 18:04:21
brian,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:33:07AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> I seem to remember that there were issues with the ss5/170 running
> non-Solaris operating systems being stable.  Something about the
> Fujitsu CPU having bugs that Solaris had workaround for.
> Is this still an issue?  I'd love to run NetBSD on my ss5/170 boxes if they
> could be stable (production mail/dns servers)

AFAIR this issue only affected some versions of Linux and should be
fixed by now.

The Linux kernel treated the 170MHz Fujitsu CPU the same way like the
"native" sun4m CPUs, which it actually isn't.

Running xBSD should be no problem on these systems, whereas x is in
Net or Open. I don't know how it's about running BSD/OS and FreeBSD.

cheers,
\end{kryz}

--
Q: How is "SunOS" spelled?