Subject: Re: ssh / sshd
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/06/2004 17:13:40
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:58:32 -0400, Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip me explaining that the problem is openssl]

> I've seen mention of OpenSSL being horribly slow on non-solaris sparcs
> before, but running fine on Solaris. I don't remember exactly where,
> but IIRC it was an article comparing performance in OpenBSD, NetBSD,
> and Solaris on an Ultra 5. The benchmarks from OpenSSL were horrible
> under the BSDs, and good on Solaris - the author had to try pretty
> hard to get results under solaris that were as bad as the ones under
> BSD, from what I saw.

I found the article: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6398&page=2
While it is heavily critical of NetBSD/sparc64, he was using 1.6.2,
which is at this point, well, dated. But the OpenSSL issues he
describes in the article are still quite real.

Which leaves me quite unsurprised that ssh.com sshd2 (which does not
link with OpenSSL at all) is faster by an order of magnitude when
negotiating the key exchange.

-Sean