Subject: Re: ssh / sshd
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/06/2004 21:15:48
On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 08:40:47PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:

[...]

> Sparc v7 hardware can not do multiplication or division in hardware.
> An SS2 should fall into this category.

Ah, I see.

> > On the RS/6000 I'm running a precompiled binary of OpenSSH. I found a
> > .bff somewhere on the net. On sun hardware (or better: on everything
> > running NetBSD), I install from pkgsrc. Although compile times on the
> > SS2 can be a pain in the ass...
>
> Compiling with gcc should give comparable results. The Sun compiler is
> far better at producing fast code.

The sun compiler has most probably not been used to compile the .bff
file I've installed to my AIX system.

> > Well, actually I'm using the same keys. Is that OK to fit these needs?
>
> Not quite - it depends on the sshd configuration too. But if both is from
> pkgsrc, you should get the same defaults.

Again: No.

The RS/6000 is running AIX 4.3.3, not NetBSD. The configuration of
sshd is equivalent anyways.

> > Yes, for sure. Never argued about that. But telnet would also
> > speed things up a bit, right?
> Right. But since I don't have kerberos setup I don't use telnet, not
> even at low-threat networks.

I wouldn't recommend telnet even if kerberos is used. I would not
recommend kerberos at all. Since kerberos is "high-level", every
application you want to use has to support kerberos. This may be OK
for a special purpose, but is bad for general usage.

> Ok, to be honest I use it in one case to access a
> console server in a pretty secure network environment.

There is nothing bad about telnet. There is no risk at all to any of
your systems running telnetd. As long as you don't use it.

As long as nobody can sniff the connection, or no secret data is
transmitted, use telnet.

cheers,
\end{kryz}

--