Subject: Re: ssh / sshd
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/06/2004 21:08:21
On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 08:56:41PM +0200, Chris Amthor wrote:
> According to a statement of a friend of mine (not the one mentioned
> above), only the key-generation process should be faster on intel
> processors.

When a new session is established, a private session key is generated by
the server. This is the pause you are seeing when ssh'ing to sparc
machines. The intel assembler stuff speeds this up significantly.

I don't know if the ppc machine uses assembler code too or if the AIX
compiler just is much better, and I don't know what the relative speeds
of those machines are anyway.

Martin