Subject: Re: ssh / sshd
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/06/2004 20:08:28
On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 07:15:13PM +0200, Chris Amthor wrote:
> YMMV, but SSH in general seems to be pretty slow on -- umh, sparc
> systems? *BSD systems? I dunno...

On systems not using assesmbler optimized code in openssh/openssl
and using gcc <= 3.3.x. For sparc systems especially since by default
older NetBSDs used v7 instructions only - 2.0 and -current do runtime
selection of parts of libc.

> I've tried Solaris, Linux and *BSD on sun4c (40MHz SS2) and sun4m
> (70MHz SS5). Even the latter system (running NetBSD 1.6 and up) is
> significantly slower than my most-comparable system (unix, RISC,
> obsolete, ...), a 60MHz 40p RS/6000 running AIX 4.3.3.

For a good comparision you need to make realy sure that you are using
the same ciphers and key lengths.

> You want to run SSHv2. Believe me.

Sure. I've disabled v1 everywhere. But believe me, this is most likely
the real explanation of the perceived difference.

Martin