Subject: Re: Secondary Boot
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/21/2004 00:52:27
>> Typing "boot cdrom" at the firmware (ROM 1.3) ok prompt gets me into
>> "NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.12".  I'm prompted for a
>> device and then (I think) a kernel file.  What is the correct way to
>> specify the CD-ROM at ID 6?  I've tried "sd(0,6,0)", "cd(0,6,0)",
>> "cdrom" and a few other things besides, all without success.

> Perhaps it wants the NetBSD /dev device file?  As in /dev/cd0a or
> equivalent?

No, it almost certainly wants the PROM path, something like
/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@0,0
(this is the actual PROM path for the root disk (not a CDROM) on one of
my machines).  If you watch the messages produced by the ROMs before
the NetBSD bootloader starts, you probably will see a path of that
general style among them - that's probably what you need.  (It will
likely end with something like "sd@6,0" for a CDROM at ID 6.)

You can usually omit the location specifiers; for example, the path I
cited above could equally well be specified as
/iommu/sbus/espdma/esp/sd@0,0 (because there's only one iommu at the
device root, only one sbus at that iommu, only one espdma on the sbus,
and only one esp at the espdma - if I had a second SCSI card in it I
might need to be more specific on one of those).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign