Subject: Re: Experiences with 2.0beta?
To: None <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/04/2004 00:38:56
At 10:17 Uhr +0200 3.5.2004, Bernd Sieker wrote:
>On 02.05.04, 15:56:24, Hauke Fath wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I felt (probably too) adventurous and upgraded my ss10 home server from
>> 1.6.2 to 2.0beta. One of the main reasons was that I wanted to run it as
>> WLAN access point.
>>
>> Since the machine has produced quite a few crashes, I've made a list on
>> http://la.causeuse.org/hauke/NetBSD/netbsd-2-0-experience/ -- what are
>> others' experiences with the to-be-2.0? Stability? Anybody having more
>> success with bridge(4) than me?
>
>So it's not me or my hardware, then. I've had similar experiences
>
>A Sun SPARCstation 20 with Dual SM71, serves as DSL/NAT router with
>pppoe on the onboard le interface, LAN on a Sun hme revision 2.0.
>The machine also runs a squid proxy for my LAN.

Very similar setup, minus the 'fas' wide scsi adapter.

>I get quite frequent freezes, mostly under light to moderate network
>load, sometimes the machine just locks and I can break (serial
>console) into the ddb, sometimes the console is back in the PROM
>with the comment "watchdog reset".

Do you have stack traces? Any similarity to those in
http://la.causeuse.org/hauke/NetBSD/netbsd-2-0-experience/crashlogs.html ?

>Which PRs are open on these issues?

None from me. Wrt. 2.0, I wanted feedback from others first. And the
problems with 1.6 were too spurious - like, machine locked up hard and not
even breaking into ddb, or dump processes timing out on local disks...

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email