Subject: Re: MySql/PHP performance
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Laurent=20FAILLIE?= <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/29/2004 10:47:21
 --- wysoft@extremecode.org a écrit :
> Is anyone hosting any sort of dynamic
> database-driven content with an
> older Sun? I'm considering hosting a mildly-busy
> (256MB, 24k requests/day)
> PHP forum on my SS5-110, mostly because I have
> nothing else to do with the
> machine. What kind of performance could I expect
> from the hardware?

My main web site (see my signature, on homeunix
domaine) is hosted on a SS5 @ 110 Mhz under NetBSD 1.6

In the "galery", almost all pages are dynamic ones :
- to handle security,
- to generate array of small pics according to the
security and number of images available,
- to handle cota limitation

=> I never had any performance problem to handle this
kind of basic tasks (even when the machine is loaded
by some background task, like POVRay).

I had also a PostgreSQL database on this machine to
manage some statistics (and a web based game in the
futur). Some private PHP pages use this database to
generate dynamicaly charts and the result is prety
good.

So, I think an SS5 is a good machine to do this kind
of task IF, AND ONLY IF the PHP code is optimized.

Concerning my site, slowness shown sometime is mostly
due to my Cable connection (16k uploading chanel) and
to DynDNS which may take serveral second to handle DNS
request.

Hoping this can help

Laurent

=====
The misspelling master is on the Web.
   _________	100 % Dictionnary Free !
 /  Dico  / /	Pleins d'autres fautes sur
/________/ /	http://go.to/destroyedlolo
(#######( /	http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org:8080
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.