Subject: Re: Kernel panic w/ HME on IPX
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/2004 10:29:50
* der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> [2004-04-22 09:41:09]:
> >> I know some other *bsds don't support the hme on sun4c due to prom
> >> issues, but I didn't see anything in the hardware lists to indicate
> >> this on netbsd.
> > Sunsolve reports no sun4c system is supported, sun4m and upwards
> > only.
>
> Sure, but there is an implicit "by Sun" tag attached to "supported"
> there.  Lots and lots of things that aren't supported by Sun do in fact
> work, often even with Sun's software.

Totally, I agree with you on that point. I just thought I was right to
clarify that simply having a machine with a vacant SBus slot, and having
an SBus card with NetBSD saying that card is supported, (to mean it's
usable for some value of usable), isn't necessarily sufficient for the
card to work without also clarifying the host system too. I'm sure I
don't have to give examples of other SBus cards that won't work in
certain systems, even though they appear to physically fit. Rather than
just throw wild statements about, I backed it up with the most
authoritative source of information I knew of.

Matt
--
"Accept anything. Then explain it your way."