Subject: Re: Kernel panic w/ HME on IPX
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/2004 09:19:06
* Jonathan <monk@netjunky.com> [2004-04-21 23:36:31]:

> If I have an sbus HME 100Mb ethernet card in, it panics and I get no
> further.  I can't verify that this hme card is good, but it "should"
> be.
>
> I know some other *bsds don't support the hme on sun4c due to prom
> issues, but I didn't see anything in the hardware lists to indicate
> this on netbsd.

Sunsolve reports no sun4c system is supported, sun4m and upwards only. I
think it's assumed NetBSD's hardware compatibility list works on the
fact that the hardware is a supported configuration in the first place.

> One complication: the IPX does have a dead NVRAM which is awaiting
> replacement, but for the moment it will boot if I completely remove the
> NVRAM (though with foolish MAC).  Will replacing the module fix this?

I found replacing to be a PITA, far less hassle to just repair it,
assuming you can solder:

http://www.bodgit-n-scarper.com/sun.html

Matt
--
"A violent man will respond poorly to a gift of flowers."