Subject: Re: install on 8MB boxes
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/04/2004 00:16:56
>> Are there any sun4m boxes with less than 8M contiguous memory?  The
>> lowest spec sun4m would probably be the classic which requires at a
>> minimum a pair of 4MB simms.
> are these 2 simms mapped contiguously?  i dunno :)

Well, I don't _know_, but machines that require memory to be installed
in sets like pairs usually have a memory bus that's wider than the
memory sticks (like the Sun-3/60, which takes 30-pin SIMMs (which are 8
bits wide) in sets of four - it has a 32-bit memory path).

Thus, I expect the machine has a 64-bit memory path and the SIMMs are
not mapped _contiguously_, exactly; I would say, rather, _interleaved_.

Which, for the purposes at hand, counts as a "yes", since the memory
they provide _is_ contiguous.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign