Subject: Re: sun4c problems again
To: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
From: Bradley Keryan <bkeryan@sbcglobal.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/28/2003 14:05:43
--- Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de> wrote:
> (i)
> The most common error while installing such a
> software or trying to
> run it is a SIGSEGV. Therefore: How exactly do I
> trace a process under
> NetBSD? I know about strace under Linux and a little
> about truss under
> Solaris. What commands do I need to know for tracing
> a process or
> examining a core-file on a system running NetBSD?

You probably want to use ktrace to trace the process.
If you're talking about the SIGSEGV when running
Mozilla or Phoenix, it will crash right after a call
to mmap(). That's because the Mozilla NSPR library's
memory allocation routine calls mmap() with the
address 0x50000000 or something, which isn't supported
on sun4c CPUs.

Last time this came up, I posted a link to the bug
report (from 2001) describing this problem and a
solution (change the 0x50000000 to 0 and rebuild).

Brad