Subject: sun4c problems again
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/24/2003 20:38:08
Hi folks,

I gave up. Obviously there is no way to install a "reasonable"
graphical web-browser on an SS2 running NetBSD 1.6.1.

I've tried installing binary packages, installing from pkgsrc and
building from native sources.

I`ve tried Mozilla and phoenix, I`ve tried to find skipstone for
NetBSD, I`ve tried \dots ...

Nevertheless, there are two questions regarding this problem left:

(i)
The most common error while installing such a software or trying to
run it is a SIGSEGV. Therefore: How exactly do I trace a process under
NetBSD? I know about strace under Linux and a little about truss under
Solaris. What commands do I need to know for tracing a process or
examining a core-file on a system running NetBSD?

(ii)
Can anyone please send me (or provide for download) a statically
linked binary of a frame-capable browser that I can run (or eventually
trace ;) on an SS2, sun4c architecture? It really _must_ not depend on
anything else than X, since I'm finally tired of failing to install
any libs for apps that won't install anyways. Filesize does not
matter. A browser I could actually use (as "light" as possible) would
be nice.

Umh, yes: I know about dillo, it's nice and I use it daily. But for
some purposes dillo just isn't nice enough.

TIA and Merry X-Mas!

cheers,
\end{kryz}

--