Subject: Re: Segfault during Floppy Install
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Rusty Dekema <rdekema@inactivex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/18/2003 18:58:00
> You might try exiting out of the sysinst program and manually
> mounting devices like the floppy, untaring the various sets and
> rebooting. I've had similar problems with old sparcs, an SS1+ in
> particular. One thing I found was if you futz up more than once or
> twice, its best to start the whole process over. I think it has
> something to do with the limited memory available during the install
> process but who knows - I'm no expert. FWIW, I have the best sucess
> with ftp installs; if you can manage some kind of network connection
> its really the best way. Those AUI-to_Ethernet transceivers are
> only about $18 and are plenty fast enough in my experience.
>
> HTH,
> Beaker

I was thinking about trying to do this (put the installation/distribution
sets on the hard drive from a shell before running the installer), but I
can't figure how to get the installer to NOT repartition and then newfs
the filesystems. I thought that there used to be a guide for a "by-hand"
install, which would be perfect for this situation, but I can't find that
anymore. (The last time I used NetBSD on a sparc was in I think the 1.4
days.)

Actually I have ordered an AUI-10BaseT transceiver but it sounds like it
might not get here for some time and I am anxious to start configuring
this machine for its intended task :). Perhaps patience would be my best
bet here though.

Thanks,
Rusty