Subject: Segfault during Floppy Install
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: im <rdekema@inactivex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/18/2003 15:18:13
Note: I'm sorry if you get two copies of this message, but I am fairly
sure that it did not actually get sent the 'first' time.

Hi,

I'm very sorry if this is already a known problem, but I have searched
Google extensively and have been unable to find any information about it.

I am trying to perform a floppy-based install of NetBSD 1.6.1 on a
SPARCstation IPC with 12MB of RAM and a 1.2GB hard drive. I can boot off
of the install floppies, partition the hard drive, and select the package
sets for installation just fine, but when the installer asks what device
to use to read the floppies, the installer has a segmentation fault,
seemingly regardless of what device I tell it to use.

The default device is /dev/fd0a. I have tried that, I have tried
/dev/rfd0a, and I have tried /dev/asdfasdfasdf (which obviously does not
exist), and all three give the following message immediately after I hit
enter:

Segmentation fault

Back in microroot; halting machine...

Sep  9 08:51:42 halt: halted by root

Syncing disks... done

Halted

Program terminated

ok _

(Obviously, my clock is not set correctly in the above output.) Does
anybody have an idea of what I might be doing wrong, or how I can get
around this? I have tried the install floppies for 1.6.1 and 1.6.0 and
they both do this.

Thanks,

Rusty Dekema

dekemar@umich.edu