Subject: Re: installation of NetBSD on sparc station 5
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Laurent=20FAILLIE?= <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/03/2003 12:17:10
 --- Robert Zalesny <zalesny@kicia.ch.pwr.wroc.pl> a
écrit : > Hi folks,

> I have the following problem. I was given working
> sun sparc station 5
> with installed SunOS 5.6 (don't know root password).

It's quite easy to change root password :
- boot to the OpenFirmware (see below how to go to the
OF),
- boot in single mode (I duno remember which option of
boot you have to use but it's tricky, thanks to the
OpenFirmware help command)
- then you can do a passwd as root or simply remove
passwd of root in /etc/passwd.

[...]

> Now, as you suspect I would like to install NetBSD
> on the sparc station, but
> the problem is that tapping CNTRL+Pause/Break
> doesn't help me a lot and I
> don't know how to reach the PROM. When a keyboard is
> attached this is easy -
> STOP+A is enough, but I can't connect the
> keyboard!!!! I would like to
> install NetBSD without the monitor via my FreeBSD
> box.

I duno how to do it w/ your termnial software you're
using on FreeBSD, but you HAVE to send a BREAK signal
to the SUN to go to the openfirmware. So you have to
check you're software documentation.
Another solution, that may work is to ... disconnect
the cable after the system boot : on my own SS5, I go
to the OF 1/2 of the time (and it's realy bad as it's
my web server and a laptop PC is used as terminal :-(
).

bye

Lolo

=====
The misspelling master is on the Web.
   _________	100 % Dictionnary Free !
 /  Dico  / /	Pleins d'autres fautes sur
/________/ /	http://go.to/destroyedlolo
(#######( /	http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org:8080
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.