Subject: Re: zx/tcx/cgfourteen 24 bpp support in 2.0?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/11/2003 23:21:18
> The cgfourteen in my SS20 got picked up by the GENERIC kernel from
> current, but it's much slower than using a cgsix, so I'd guess the
> comment about it emulating a cgthree is still true.

Perhaps.  I found that it was unusably slow when doing 24bpp rcons and
usable (though of course slow compared to the cg6) when doing 8bpp
rcons.  (At 8bpp, rcons is about as fast as the unaccelerated cg6 was,
which makes sense because it's basically the same.)  At 24bpp, it felt
about as bad as an iMac's ROM console code (which I once had the
misfortune to use).

Accelerated-- I wish.  I have reason to think the cg14 is fairly smart,
perhaps as smart as the cg6, but have yet to find any docs, nor have I
had the leisure to figure anything out by experimentation.  (For that
matter, I have reason to think the cg6 is smarter than I know how to
use - indications are it has a 3D transform engine, but I have no clue
how to use it.)

The S24 (24bpp tcx), that I have doc on.  I'll be happy to be a doc
resource person for anyone interested in using the acceleration it has.
(It doesn't have a blitter in the usual sense, but it does have assist
that can be used to significantly speed up scrolling.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign