Subject: Re: Endless tape?
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/12/2003 22:02:27
[ On Friday, September 12, 2003 at 17:55:03 (-0700), Matthew Jacob wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Endless tape?
>

> POLA for whom? For people used to AIX, SOlaris, SunOS, and others, it
> was a POLA violation. For those who had i386NetBSD work a certain way,
> it wasn't.

Actually for many people using NetBSD/i386 the old behaviour was a
serious problem and major limitation to NetBSD.

The fact the fixed behaviour was not made the default was a huge
surprise for me, and the last times I've used tape drives was on
NetBSD/i386.

As for Solaris users now using NetBSD, for example, one I know was quite
incensed that this was only a compile-time option, especially given that
it defaulted to the broken behaviour.

Also an avid and expert FreeBSD/i386 user I know was also quite upset
about these problems, so much so that I doubt he'll bother looking at
NetBSD on any platform for quite some time.  The real problem there is
that he'll also work a lot harder to disuade potential NetBSD users from
using NetBSD even when it might be the best solution for them.

--
						Greg A. Woods